[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Keep Off The Grass"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 28 14:16:56 PST 2005

Dear Craig,
"Carolina Shout" was recorded by Jimmy Johnson's Jazz Boys in Oct 1921 but
he never made a record of "Keep Off The Grass" with a jazz band.
So far as I know, the only band versions were by a Jerry Colona group in
July 1956 for a Liberty LP which included Dick Cathcart, Moe Schneider,
Eddie Miller, Matty Matlock and Stan Wrightsman; and the New Orleans
Stompers from Poland in 1963.
All other versions are piano solos and duets or piano with rhythm.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: An earlier "Keep Off The Grass" was composed by Harry von Tilzer in
about 1903. I just thought that you would like to know this.
8>)
Bill.