[Dixielandjazz] Horizontal - Vertical - etc. The Gunter Queries

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 06:07:47 PST 2005

Dear Mike:

If you and I ever discussed how to learn to play jazz off list, you might
have seen it before via my posts.

The basic information about Vertical and Horizontal Improvisation is also
available via the internet from Miles Osland at:

http://www.milesosland.com/reviews.html

It is the basic framework for learning how to play jazz and taught by others
like Jamey Aebersold, David Liebman et al.

Learn ALL the scales in ALL the keys.
Learn ALL the chords in ALL the keys.
Learn the three Modes in ALL the keys.

Memorize them. Practice them and chord triads until they are second nature.

Learn how to HEAR them . . . then play Jazz.

Only takes a couple of years of concentrated practice. (2 to 4 hours a day)

Cheers,
Steve

on 11/28/05 12:56 AM, Mike at mike at railroadstjazzwest.com wrote:

> Nice post Steve. Where did you get this? I think I have seen this
> before. Great information and practical too.
>
> Mike
>

>> Steve barbone wrote:
>> Below is a snip about the same subject for those who might
>> wish to be "challenged" as players or listeners. From Saxophone Professor
>> Miles Osland's teaching book on "BEGINNING Improvisation."
>>
>> Music is communication. In order to communicate your ideas to others, you
>> must speak the same language. Whether you choose to speak with slang, proper
>> grammar, or in iambic pentameter, there are certain spelling and grammatical
>> conventions required to talk coherently in musical form.
>>
>> Yes sir, it ain't easy to be a jazz musician. And, you don't need all the
>> below knowledge to either play or enjoy listening to OKOM. But if you want
>> to be challenged by the music, then learn how to play, or hear and
>> understand the language. Makes music MUCH more interesting. :-) VBG.

Etc: Snipped for  brevity