[Dixielandjazz] Horizontal music

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Nov 27 11:43:57 PST 2005

These definitions  are I think unique and not at all the same as mine
even though the words are somewhat similar.
Larry Walton
St. Louis

Robert Smith wrote:
> Hello Bill
>
> Here's my (very personal) answers to your bunch of questions:
>
> 1. One of the definitions of "horizontal" is "flat". Assuming that
> "flat" doesn't mean "out-of-tune" then flat jazz is jazz that goes at
> a steady tempo, at a constant volume, with no jarring notes. This, to
> me, is synonomous with "boring";
If I were to accept this premise then I would agree - boring - but
Horizontal or melodic jazz usually isn't any of those things.  I think
you mix up this with elevator music.  It's not the same at all.

> 2. One of the definitions of "vertical" is "related to the top of the
> head", so vertical jazz is jazz played off the top of one's head, i.e.
> with no previous practice. In mathematics there is a "diagonal
> process" where a new term is created that is different from all the
> other terms. So "diagonal jazz" is ..... ;
No such thing as Diagonal Jazz at least as far as I know.  I have never
heard the top of the head theory.  I think that could be a broad
definition for all jazz.  That sounds like composing on the fly which is
what we do when we play jazz.

> 3. "Melodic jazz" is a somewhat disparaging term, that means that one
> can hear the title tune (or at least bits of it) in the player's phrases;
Maybe yes maybe no.  it could be entirely different than the original.
I don't accept that you must be able to hear the title tune to have
melodic jazz although it's nice to be able to bring the listener back to
the head of the tune rather than leave him off somewhere in space.  I
also don't agree at all that Melodic jazz is a disparaging term akin to
elevator music. An example of this is Louis Armstrong's "What a
wonderful World"  Very few people, even musicians, recognize this as
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star until they are told that's what it is.  This
is a perfect example of hiding something in plain sight and converting a
children's tune via Jazz into something entirely different.

> 4. A "challenge" is a call to engage in a fight, argument, or contest.
> So challenging jazz leads to drunken brawls, fisticuffs, and carving
> contests;

See number 5.