[Dixielandjazz] Baritone as a trombone

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Nov 24 01:01:13 PST 2005

The subject title of this thread is its downfall.  A baritone is a lovely,
melodic, mellow horn.  A trombone is, well, we know what a trombone is.  One
can not replace the other.  One can be put in as a "replacement", but that
is not the same.

A musician who's basic instrument is a valve instrument improvises
differently on a slide trombone than a trombonist who is virgin to that
instrument.  (I know, when have you ever seen a virgin trombonist!)   :>

I can spot a trumpeter playing trombone immediately...every time.  And, I
daresay I could spot a baritone horn trying to imitate a trombone.

Us slide guys are different.  We can be substituted, but not replaced!

Besides, you need the visual action of the trombone to somewhat draw away
the never ending glances the girls are always giving the trumpeter player.
Gotta keep a balance in the band.

Jim