[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill With Strings

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Nov 23 23:38:30 PST 2005

Stan Brager wrote regarding Wild Bill With Strings:

(snip)
 > It's a really difficult question you've posed, Steve. I wonder if any of
> those who knew Bill Davison personally could comment about how he might
> have
> felt about making this album.
(snip)

I spoke to Bill about his "Wild Bill with strings.  He was very proud of
that recording.

An odd thing though.  He once told me about the first time he heard Bix.  I
think it was in 1922.  Bill was playing a fraternity dance.  The band he was
playing with was at one end of a large gym.  Bix was at the other end with
another band.

Bill said that hearing Bix that night changed his whole way of playing.  I
could never figure it out because of course, Bill sounded nothing like Bix.
But, in some way, Bix was a heavy influence on Bill.  This is what he told
me.  I wish now that I would have questioned him more about it.

--Bob Ringwald