[Fwd: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Beautiful Baritone Horn]

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Nov 23 20:29:49 PST 2005

Len Nielsen wrote:

> Betty O'Hara ... played what was described as
> a bass trumpet. To my ears it sounded like it
> was in the trombone range. Would this be
> accurate?

Yes.  Although there are some differences in the bore and the taper of the
bore, a bass trumpet and a valve trombone are more or less the same
instrument, only with the tubing bent into different shapes (i.e., a
different "wrap" as Tubists and Hornists would say).

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
* Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony
* Eb Bass, The Pacific Brass
* Occasional Tuba, Tommy Bro's Hecker Pass
    All-Star Dixieland Jazz Band
* Occasional Tuba, Mission Gold Jazz Band
* Available for almost any style of music