[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill With Strings

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Wed Nov 23 10:02:30 PST 2005

After Hackett hit with Gleason in the earliest 50's, there were an
abundance of me-too records made. That was probably at least  factor in
Bill's not making any waves.  Perceived image may also be an issue.
Deep down, did Bill really want to be known for that kind of thing?
Also, given the abundance of more tractable artists available, is it
possible that  the studio guys walked away from Bill and his reputation
as a wild man?  Projects made in heaven have foundered on less.

Steve Holzer