[Dixielandjazz] Re: Topic 3 - Baritone as Trombone

richard88jazz at att.net richard88jazz at att.net
Wed Nov 23 09:15:28 PST 2005

A Bariton Horn would be perfectly fine as a trombone substitute IF the player sticks to playing TROMBONE PARTS.  In my experience, that's usually NOT the case and that presents a real problem in ensemble playing!!  Most bari players treat the horn as a SOLO instrument which is usually in the way during ensembles.  Even during solos, if straying too far from the trombone style, it becomes a muddled mess and not very pleasing to hear.  Of course, there are always exceptions, but this has been my experience.  My bottom line: Better to leave the thing home and do without rather than listening to bleating bari solos all night long!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Rich Skrika, piano
Albany, NY
richard88jazz at att.net