[Dixielandjazz] Working In The Trenches

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 23 07:39:04 PST 2005

Hi Russ:

Hey, I am just repeating what Jessica Williams said. BUT, then most folks
would tell you that here in Philadelphia $75 is common also and $200 a night
imaginative.

Well, not to my band. We routinely pay sidemen between $100 & $350 a night,
$100 being for one hour. And I personally know pianists making $150 a night
6 nights a week at two hotels here. Meanwhile the majority of the guys make
$75 in joints all over town.

Hey guys, it depends upon which "music scene" you are wired into. Jessica is
talking about maybe one or two hotels, and a guy lucky enough to find it,
who would also be an EXCELLENT performer. Same here in Philly. Some
musicians are lucky enough to get on my gigs, and or on Joe Sudler's gigs.
He does a lot of high priced work. They make money.

The others merely sing that old song; "That's Impossible".

Now, Jessica Williams is nobody's fool. You may never have heard of her, but
she is an excellent jazz musician and no doubt can back up her assertions
just as I can mine.

Cheers,
Steve