[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms - Public Perception

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 23 07:25:33 PST 2005

Answer to Tom Wiggins Post below after answer:

Well, Tom, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Having shared two
evenings on stage, alternating sets (within the past 3 years) with two of
the touring units of Preservation Hall, shared drinks and some lively
chatter with them before and after, had my trumpet player approached by
young Jaffe to tour with them, listened to Brunious and my guitarist revive
memories of Las Vegas where they played together 35 years ago, besides
having visited Preservation Hall several times in new Orleans I offer the
following:

IMO, it is as authentic FOLK MUSIC to the original concept as you can get.
Jaffe and the players strive for it. It is not a marching unit like St Gabe,
or Dirty Dozen, or a Condon type unit like mine. And should not be compared
to other groups unless those groups are striving for original sounds of the
turn of the century. That is what they seek to do and they do it well.

Who are you (especially) and I to fault the founders (Jaffe's dad) for
making money at it? How else would it be viable?

We don't have to like their sound, or whatever, but we should acknowledge
that this is the most popular Trad Jazz Band in the world. Yeah, they may be
a bunch of old men, however the units I played with, and have seen touring
play pretty well. (Brunious, et al with young Jaffe on bass) And actually,
their average age is about 10 years younger than my band.

Regarding playing with a band when one doesn't have anything better to do,
that is the way of the current musical scene for those of us making a living
as players. It is those "better" gigs that pay the bills and so we all
gravitate to them. Fortunately, I have developed the "better" gigs in my
region for my band and so I attract the premier musicians and work with 45
of the best of them around.

The are surely "better" musicians than the members of Preservation Hall
around, and surely better musicians than members of St Gabe's and/or Barbone
Street. But that should not detract from what Preservation Hall, or what
you, or I are doing. Nobody does what PH does better than they do. Likewise
for St Gabe's and Barbone Street.

Cheers,
Steve