[Dixielandjazz] Re: N.O. Style BANDS WORLDWIDE

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 06:41:06 PST 2005

I agree with you completely, some of it is about what is called The Living
Tradition, the new generation of musicians have got that feel; because the
city has a continuing tradition since jazz first appeared, it is alive, the
only other comparison I have is the English Morris Dancing Tradition, the
two best teams in this country by a long, way are Bampton and Headington,
they have been dancing in these villages(now towns) for hundreds of years
without a break and it shows, the continuity in the local community is still
there as it is with the musicians in New Orleans, you only have to listen to
a bands like the Dirty Dozen etc and that great New Orleans street beat is
still there, because its always been there and the youngsters absorb as they
grow up on the street, not third hand from recordings.

Barrie