[Dixielandjazz] Costumes (& Humor)

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Nov 22 06:02:00 PST 2005

I think you will find that men usually wore vests under coats and the coats
were buttoned.  That is why you don't see vests.  Boaters (straw hats) were
common men's attire Memorial Day to Labor Day probably from the mid teens to
the late 20s at least.  Too bad we don't have an authority on dress and
fashion in the group.

I think the hats and stripes come in via "banjo bands" or "Gay nineties"
type outfits in the late 40s and early 50s.   And the misguided costuming in
some movies plays a part as well.  Movies can be full of anachronisms and
just plain errors, as long as it looks "good" in the film.

Ron L