[Dixielandjazz] Costumes (& Humor)

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 18:30:46 PST 2005

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote

> This talk off & on for the past several years about Jazz bands who wear
> straw hats, garters, etc is a bit tiresome.
>
> IMHO- There is a time and place for everything.
>
> If I am playing a Jazz festival or an event where people are actually there
> to hear the Jazz, chances are we will dress accordingly, to what the
> situation calls for.  It might be short sleeve shirts or might be a tux.
>
> However, if we are playing for a "Roaring 20s" party or perhaps "Gay 90s" &
> are part of the atmosphere, we will dress in the period of the party.
>
> Putting down bands who wear period costumes is about as silly as expecting
> an actor who is appearing in a play, film or TV show, not to dress the part.
>
> My daughter who is an actress, when doing a period piece, would not be in
> the business for very long if she refused to wear clothes appropriate to the
> role that she is hired to play.
>
> By the same token, if a client is paying me to provide atmosphere for
> his/her event, that is exactly what I will do.
>
> Instead of the negative comments (snickering behind our hands) on the List,
> at bands who choose to wear period costumes, let's get on with the positive
> side of listening to, learning about and playing Jazz?

Yes, of course Bob & List mates.

But lets not forget that we are laughing because it is funny and if folks
see humor as a personal put down . . . . that is truly a pity.

Of course there is a time and a place for everything. But now, except for
gay 90s or Roaring 20s parties it might just be time to dress as "jazz"
musicians. Especially since we are trying to impersonate them.

One thing for sure, Jazz Musicians are noted for both strong opinions and a
major sense of humor. If mine offend folks, well, it is not really my
problem but theirs. IMO, of course.

However, if any folks took offense at what I said, or say, then I apologize
for whatever it is/was that bothered you and hope you get over it.

Meanwhile folks, take your best shot at me, off list, of course, so the more
gentile folks on the DJML are not subject to such brutality. Ignore my spam
message as I will receive it and answer, you have my promise on that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone