[Dixielandjazz] Straw hats, Garters, Vests, Etc.

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Nov 21 16:51:50 PST 2005

Thanks for the comments Bob.  My band wears vests and sometimes straw
hats.  This is sort of the outfit that we all have.  For many years the
union had a rule that the leader couldn't require special clothing
unless he paid for it.  I'm pretty sure that is out the window but I
guess as an employer I still pretty much adhere to that somewhat.  As a
result all union bands and a lot of others in St. Louis wear Tuxes.  the
second standard uniform is Blue blazer with gray pants.

The dixieland guys here all have straw hats and vests if you don't want
to pay for outfits.  This outfit is easy to maintain and carry.

Personally I dislike wearing coats when I play.  I just get too hot and
it's uncomfortable.  With the vests we don't have to wear ties either
all the time.  I bought vests that are nice and all the guys look like a
band rather than just a throw together.  I don't have the bucks to buy
coats for everyone that I might use.  With pickup musicians you would
need about 15 coats and it's not necessary.

I understand that if you have a Co op band or the group has been
established for a long time then other outfits may be OK if the group is
stable and you can talk the guys into buying outfits. One of the bands
just have blue polo shirts and they seem do very well.

The other reason is that the people (especially those who hire us)
around here seem to like us dressed that way.  I like for the guys to
wear tux shirts and pants too.
I guess I'm not with it.
Larry Walton
St. Louis