[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lyrics..Girl of my Dreams

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 21 13:18:17 PST 2005

Dear friends,
Before we leave the "Girls Of My Dreams, I Love You" thread let's give
credit where it is due.
This waltz song, which all of us over 70 will know from our youth, was
composed in 1927 by Sunny Clapp.
"Who?" you may ask.
A tbnist (who also played clt and the saxes) and band leader.
He recorded his popular composition with Jimmy McHugh's Bostonians for
Harmony on 25 Sept 1928, but un-reissued so far as I know.
The Casa Loma Orch recorded it (as a waltz) for Decca in Dec 1937.
So did Billy Kyle and His Swing Club Band on 23 July 1937.
>From the 40s on it became popular again with an assortment of performances
including numerous New Orleans bands, the Louis Armstrong All Stars, Dizzy,
Harry James and even the Fire House Five Plus Two (their 'Plays Lovers'
album.
Sunny Clapp and His Band of Sunshine was well known in Texas in the 1920s
and recorded 8 sides (for Okeh and Victor) one of which included Hoagy
Carmichael as vclist.
Clapp also recorded with the bands of Blue Steele, Mart Britt and Slim
Lamar.
Dial up the wonderful 'Red  Hot Jazz Archive' site and listen to some
steaming mp3 examples.
Once again, more than you needed to know.
Kind regards,
Bill.