[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixieland definitions

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 13:07:48 PST 2005

NO NO No No  Steve:

I just ordered 15 Straw Hats ( actually styrofoam ones) and  30 Red arm
Garters, Red striped vests in Giant sizes and some fine looking bright
Yellow Pants, and Red bow ties and fifteen fake handle bar Mustaches
for my mostly  Black Band in the hopes that we would finally be
accepted and invited to play some Dixieland Festivals.   I thought they
were coming back into Fashion.

ROTFLOL

Tom Wiggins

Sadly, the media moguls thought otherwise and succeeded, by the 70s, in
changing the public's association of the word "Dixieland" to white
bands,
like ODJB, playing zany music while dressed in outlandish costumes.

The public perception of "Dixieland" e.g. old white guys in straw hats
and
arm garters damn near killed the music during the second half of the
20th
century. Took away its relevance to creative jazz.

IMO, The sooner we get rid of that baggage, the better.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone