[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 09:29:44 PST 2005

Played with Jonathan Russell Sunday for the Tri State Jazz Society in NJ. He
was superb as usual, even though tired from playing with 7 bands at the
Suncoast Jazz Festival in Clearwater and flying back to make this gig. The
audience  (relatively large even though a Giant-Eagles football game
competed for audience) enjoyed him and he got a standing O. We were tired
too, driving 250 miles, playing 8 hours on Saturday, last set ending at 2
AM. But, we all operated on adrenaline and were well received.

WARNING to reed players: He quotes the opening bars of Alphonse Picou's High
Society, in solos and when trading 4s these days so look out. I suspect if
Andy Stein teaches him the Picou part of the trio, the kid will at 10 years
old, soon out do us all on that tune on obbligato and variations.

Jonathan, if you are listening, learn the full tune "High Society" and play
it at Sacramento 2006.

Any list mates see him at Clearwater? Feedback?

Cheers,
Steve