[Dixielandjazz] GOOD MUSIC WILL OUT

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 19:59:06 PST 2005

Absolutely Michale:

We should all know and or remember by now that Teenagers for sure  and
many young adults want nothing to do with whatever their parents liked,
and especially their taste in music.   Just is not Cool.   HOwever they
are thrilled to "Discover"  really cool new things that their Parents
never told them about,  as in like us, since many of our generation did
exactly the same thing.

Hence the younger kids going away to college today are "Discovering"
OKOM  and find ti to be something totally different than what they have
been spoon fed on modern radio and by the major record industry.  They
often become Fanatical FANS and are always looking for something new
and on the cutting edge.

Steve's post about his recent College gig is Right on Target.   Going
out and taking it to them is what has to be done, once they get a taste
of it and find out how much fun it is and can be they will be hooked
just like many of us were when we were kids.

Heck I took two 16 year olds to see 70 Year old James Brown and his
Famous Flames And Sly Stones group,  Two Major Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
inductees,  this weekend and they came home and spent 6 hours on the
internet talking about it to their high school friends in two
countries.   Turns out that one of the boys father's and his english
teacher in Taiwan are avid James BROWN FANS and told the boy how lucky
he was to have a once in a lifetime dream come true.  He not only got a
chance to attend a James Brown Live Concert but he got to go backstage
and meet him in person.

While James Brown is certainly not even close to Dixieland, we must all
remember that Dixieland is almost 100 years old now, and there are
millions of people listening to music these days who never heard of it,
or even the Beatles, for that matter who were greatly influenced by
James Brown and others of his era.

Perhaps many of us are just out of touch with the rest of the Music
World and have been for a very long time.   There is indeed a lot more
out there than OKOM, and we simply cannot sit back and wait for them to
come to us.

Where is the Dixieland OKOM Hall of Fame ??????    Certainly not
"Preservation Hall"

Even Nashville has the Grand Ole Opry,   Why not a Grand Old Dixie  ??
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins  who had a great time teaching some young kids history up
close and personal, something I wish some OKOMers had done for me when
aI WAS A KID FLOUNDERING IN ROCK AND ROLL.  Next I will take them to
see some good Dixieland.

 Fortunately I can  function in both worlds.