[Dixielandjazz] good music and young folks

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 17:17:42 PST 2005

For Steve and others....we have been playing for young Lindy Hoppers for
over 5 years now on a regular basis. (at least once a month, sometimes once a
week).

For 4 years now we have had about 80 or 90 Lindy Hoppers from all over the
USA and a few from other countries attend our jazz festival
(AZCLASSICJAZZ.ORG).  Several from New York and Pennsylvania have attended. We don't have to
change  our style to satisfy these kids....they love dixieland and Condon Style
Jazz.  (Hence my bands name..the 52nd Street Jazz Band) And yes, I dance with
many of  these young kids (at their request). We and they have a ball.....at our
festival  the last band quits at midnight, then the kids have different DJ's
continue and  they dance until 4:00 am. This year Jeff Barnhart and a few
other musicians  stumbled back into the ballroom at the San marcos Resort at about
3:00 am and  played for them some more. Their favorite band (and they have
heard the very  best) is the Titan Hot Seven.....they go nuts when this band
plays. But they  also loved the Mighty Aphrodite....after Bria and Claire played
at our  festival three years ago, Bria went back to Chilliwac, British
Columbia and  found out where the young Lindy Hoppers were dancing. Now her band
plays for  them on a regular basis....she doesn't need to go east to play for
Lindy  hoppers.

One new thing we did this year was to offer glowing necklaces to those  older
folks who wanted to dance with the young Lindy Hoppers. About 30 were  given
out....once the kids knew who they were, they often asked these folks to
dance. We had great feedback, what a great idea to get both age groups
partying/dancing together.

No question about it, these young kids love OKOM. By the way, for the Lindy
Hop Exchange held at our festival, the Lindy Hoppers had T-shirts made which
said PHXEXCH...the Return of the Titan Hot Seven. I have a foto of Jeff
Barnhart, Danny Coots, Bob Draga and myself wearing these shirts.

Other bands at our festival that these Lindy Hoppers particularly like  were:
 High Sierra, John Sheridans Quintet (Allan Vache, John Cocuzzi, Phil
Flanigan, Jeff hamilton), Fulton Street, e Climax Jazz Band and the 52nd Street
Jazz band.

Now, I have to get to work on our 2006 jazz festival....the Lindy Hoppers
will be back for sure as will the Titan Hot Seven.

Joe  Hopkins
AZ Classic Jazz Society Vice-President
AZ Classsic Jazz Festival  Co-Director
Jazz Clarinet...52nd Street Jazz Band 602-810-5888 or  480-396-6798
_www.azclassicjazz.org_ (http://www.azaclassicjazz.org/)