[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ethel Waters singing "His Eye is on the Sparrow?"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 18 22:37:41 PST 2005

> I got a request from a listener who wanted to hear any version of  "His Eye is
on the Sparrow" sung by Ethel Waters.......... a search of all CDs in print (US
and French)........ could not find a recording of it.
I am a bit surprised because that was the title of her 1951 autobiography!<

Dear Dave,
Miss Waters performed this song in the powerful 1952 Julie Harris film
'Member of The Wedding'. Both reprised their roles (along with Brando De
Wilde) from their successful Broadway production of the Carson McCullers'
play.
Unfortunately, you will need to find two LPs, both recorded in the late
1950s - early 1960s.

Ethel Waters (vcl) acc by Reggie Beane (p)
c. late 1950's.    Monmouth-Evergreen MES/6812
I have this LP, but do not know how to make my Mac produce an MP3 copy.
(My mates Phil O'Rourke and Anton Crouch may be able to help.)

Ethel Waters (vcl) acc by org, p, mixed choir and orchestra, Paul Mickelson
(dir,arr). c. 1963.   Word W3100
Kind regards,
Bill.