[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Nov 18 08:15:17 PST 2005

We should have these printed and posted with each band.

Personally I have always made it a personal rule to never play unless
invited.  I did break my rule a couple of years ago.  For those listees
who have already read the story hit the delete now.

My  Masonic Lodge was 140 years old and because it was founded by
riverboat men the Master of the lodge wanted to have the party on a
riverboat.  The St. Louis boats were too expensive so we got one in
Hannibal Mo.  I keep a RV trailer near there and knew from playing the
Mississippi Queen that there was a pretty good Dixie band located in
that town.  Putting two and two together and coming up with five I
decided to take my soprano along and see if I could sit in and play a
few tunes.

The band wasn't a Dixie band but a Jazz group and a really good one too,
out of Quincy Ill. Undaunted, about halfway through their second set I
asked the leader if I could sit in.  He was really reluctant but since I
was the guy that was going to sign the check that night he said OK but
that I had to have my own mouthpiece. (I think he had been there done
that before)

Now you have to get the picture.  Six musicians wanting to die.  Then
this guy walks up with a Soprano yet.  I think they were all looking for
a place to dive overboard about then.  After my first solo I glanced up
at the tenor player and the look on his face made my day.  After the set
on their break I was invited to show up at their next several gigs.  I
just listened the rest of the evening but I had a great time and made
some friends too.

I agree with all the comments made about guys wanting to sit in that
they can be rude and overbearing.  We played a wedding reception once
and a guy wanted to sit in. After the first tune the bride came up and
told me to get that guy off the stage.  Maybe an old boyfriend?

I really don't care for sit ins and that's why I guess I never (or
almost never) ask to sit in with a group.
Larry Walton
St. Louis