[Dixielandjazz] Re: Copying

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 01:09:58 PST 2005

Just a note to those of you who are bothered by the idea of someone copying
your CD....how many of you read someone else's copy of The Mississippi Rag (or
any other publication) instead of subscribing? With CDs, there's only one big
bill to produce the product. Like other periodicals, the RAG faces bills 12
months out of the year for second-class periodicals postage, printing, daily
postage, rent, office supplies, payments to writers and photographers, and more,
plus we run a couple thousand free plugs every month with no doors closed to
those who don't subscribe or advertise. We are enormously grateful to bands
like the New Black Eagles and the Original Salty Dogs where nearly every band
member has subscribed for years instead of just passing the RAG around, and we
are thankful for our loyal advertisers. That's what has kept us afloat for 32
years. Every once in awhile on the DJML, this question of copying CDs comes up,
and I always think it's kind of funny to see the names of people who are
bothered by CD copying, yet read someone else's RAG and send us itineraries or CDs
for free plugs. Personally, I'm against CD copying, too--I think everyone who
puts forth an effort for the music deserves to be paid or at least compensated
for monies spent. Too many of our jazz legends died broke because they didn't
get paid royalties and/or had their compositions swiped and copyrighted by
someone else.

Leslie Johnson
editor at mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag at aol.com