[Dixielandjazz] More on Sony flap from USA Today

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Wed Nov 16 21:36:20 PST 2005

It appears that even extremely computer savvy people should probably
read the findings reported in the Technology area of USA Today on page
3B of the business section if they find they are infected. I will not
try to quote the entire article here as I am sure someone else will
cover much of it anyway.  The following seems important.

Quote:
A Princeton researcher, J. Alex Halderman, says Sony's uninstall program
makes the computer even more vulnerable." He has posted instructions for
how to find out if your PC is infected at the Freedom to Tinker blog
(www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924).  But he recommends consumers leave
the XCP software on their computer until Sony fixes the situation. Sony
says it is working on a new uninstall program."

Unquote

It originally came from a British firm First 4 Internet.

If the uninstall is done wrong, the only cure may be to reformat.

My own suggestion is that you all go back to your 78's and other
recordings until this is resolved.  Or just call up www.redhotjazz.com.

Lowell