[Dixielandjazz] Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 10:59:05 PST 2005

Hi Karen:

Venus and Mars. It was tongue firmly in cheek, (e.g. the :-) VBG) and
speaking mostly about the males in the audience.

The message between the lines is three fold.

1) They deserve to be heard because they are NEW, YOUNG and EXCITING. And
OKOM needs
   those three attributes.

2) There is NO downside risk for their being hired because the audience will
love them.
    Especially the men.

3) Bands that also put on a show, or otherwise connect with audiences are
those that most
   folks in OKOM audiences love. e.g. Blue Street, Titan, Igor etc. The
girls WILL CONNECT.

I do give the audience credit. They are the raison d'être for most musicians
including me. But I also believe that the musical presentation is visual as
well as aural and those bands that realize this and also present visually,
are those that speak to audiences in this day and age. IMO, the most sought
after OKOM Festival bands prove this time and again.

About most people in audiences; (this from a musician's point of view) They
may listen, but do they really "hear"?  The answer depends upon whom you
ask, and who is, or is not, willing to speak plainly. When many OKOMers
describe Rock, or Avant Garde jazz audiences, we say they are musically
challenged. Why then, should not OKOM audiences be the same? Are we so
musically elite? Perhaps  not, as again IMO, OKOM is one of the simpler
forms of jazz. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve

on 11/16/05 12:26 PM, Coastsidegiraffe at aol.com at Coastsidegiraffe at aol.com