[Dixielandjazz] Thoughts on LP Needles>>WD40

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 17:21:59 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/9/05 5:28:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
starwaterlogo at mpinet.net writes:

Cleaning  won't give *any* record CD-level quietness and there are various
factors  like the quality of the pressing itself and dirt that can be
imbedded in  the grooves from the factory that you can't do anything about,
but a proper  cleaning along with other related adjustments will give the
record the  chance to sound as good as it can on your system.

I know this will wrackle the neck hairs of record collecting purists, but I
find cleaning the record with WD-40 loosens a lot of dirt that soap and water
misses and it provides a lubrication which glides the stylus over many
inclusionsm etc that will make objectionable noise.

I have also convinced myself that the WD-40 does not harm vinyl records, or
acetate, and composite material 78 RPM records even if left on the surface wet
 and allowed to dry for several days.  The added lubrication film helps the
playback even months later without further application and does not  harm the
record.  Avoid letting it get onto the paper label,  however, because it will
give that a wet look that is distracting.

I am now crawling back into my hole to watch the fireworks begin.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers JB
"we  ain't just whistling dixie!"