[Dixielandjazz] Recordings - copying and show biz

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 15 10:37:26 PST 2005

 Tom said: Besides my CDs are also business cards and I am not afraid to
use them as such when I see good booking opportunities.   They are
Marketing Tools, not treasured Collectors items that folks should have
to go look for.
_______________________________________
Overpricing isn't worth it as you point out.  Some years ago when I was
in college I worked on and off for a guy named Mert Merly. (Mert Merly
and the Rhythm Steppers  C&W band)  Mert always had records out (45's)
He cut a record every few months.  The cost to him at that time (50's)
was about $0.60 each.  Since records sold for about a dollar then why
did he do it?  He would have 500 records cut.  He would first give about
100 to the local Juke box guy.  At that time they were owned and
operated by the mob as was our agent and the local DJ's.  Convenient one
stop shopping sort of.  The agent got a few along with a few bucks to
the local DJ's.  (what is the statute of limitations on payola?).  He
then took 150 or so and gave them to the local music stores in several
of the small towns. the rest he sold on the jobs.

While the records were a money losing proposition the gigs weren't.
Mert was billed as a recording artist which carried a lot of weight with
the public.  You could always find one of his tunes on the juke boxes
and hear them on the radio station and they were in the record stores.

Now as far as I know no one ever heard of Mert Merley outside of SE
Mo.and Southern Illinois but he could and did pack people in the
roadhouses and halls and made top dollar.  The thing is that these guys
weren't all that much better than anyone else but the records made a
difference. Its called show biz.

As Tom pointed out CD's are worth more to you in someones hand with a
business card than in your car waiting to be sold.

Today almost anyone can produce a CD that looks and sounds professional
for not a lot of money.  Makes a great business card.
Larry Walton
St. Louis