[Dixielandjazz] Re: Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band

Jtnt at aol.com Jtnt at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 05:06:46 PST 2005

Bret E. Bradford wrote:

<<I would appreciate any comments on this West Coast group. I have been
approached about booking them for a gig but don't know much about about
them. Supposedly they are fantastic, but that opinion may be biased.  :-)>>

OK, here's my unbiased opinion: They're wonderful and headed for greatness!

At last weekend's AZ classic Jazz Fest, they were many fans favorites. One
guy said to me "I wish I were retired so I could go to all their festivals!"

Never saw so many awestruck musicians from other bands at a set.

One group of people were looking over the lineup on Sunday trying to decide
if they should buy badges. I gave them an enthusiastic recommendation for
Titan, Sierra, Fulton Street, and especially Aphrodite; they got badges and were at
Aphrodite's first set. When I saw them later at Aphrodite's second set, I
apologized for maybe overselling the band, cause they do get a bit ragged
sometimes. The fans said they loved the band and would be at all their sets!

This morning we played a video for a neighbor of the band playing Deed I Do .
It starts with trumpeter Bria Skonberg playing a muted solo. Neighbor said
"gives me goose bumps".

This was their FIRST festival and they're already booked for San Diego, Sac.,
Olympia, Orange County, Ocean Shores, and AZ again! Better get 'em while they
still have open dates.

Well, maybe that wasn't totally unbiased :-)

Check out their web site:   _http://www.mightyjazz.com/_
(http://www.mightyjazz.com/)

Jack & Nan Thomas