[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet tuning

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Mon Nov 14 08:19:34 PST 2005

Larry Walton wrote on Monday, November 14, 2005 1:16 AM
To: Steve barbone
Cc: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Clarinet tuning

The primary things that gum up clarinets are  candy, chewing gum, soda and
milk,  Candy, chewing gum and soda because they contain sugar which causes
pads to be gummy and Milk because it forms a kind of glue.
Elmer's glue is made from milk. These are typically kid foods.  Other things
will gum up woodwinds but many adult beverages unless they are sweet don't
do a lot of harm.  Straight vodka has never rotted a pad. Cheers Larry
Walton St. Louis
::snip::
Steve barbone wrote:
>> He also said that during a session you should not eat or drink
>> anything as it will not be good for the instrument, tonight I had two
>> pints of Guinness and some sandwiches supplied by the organisers, I
>> don't think he was talking about jazz musicians.
::end snip::
Now, I feel that I have been given a reprieve and will take every
opportunity to avail myself of the client's hospitality with scotch, good
ale and Guinness and will abstain only from milk and sugar-based foods.
Musical content . . . Oh Baby!

Regards,

Tom Duncan
201-836-6076