[Dixielandjazz] The Price of "Entertainment"

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 21:03:30 PST 2005

Went to see the Philadelphia Flyers (Hockey Team) this evening since my
daughter got 4 free tickets from her employer. Note the cost of the evening
for 4 of us, excluding gasoline etc. It was a 19,000 fan sell out.

Tickets @ $85 each: $340 (center ice, 10th row, paid for by corporation)
Parking             $ 10
4 Fast Food Dinners $ 36
2 beers             $ 12
4 ice cream cones   $ 15

Total               $413

Entertainment was about 3 hours and the Flyers won . . . Yay.

Wow, what do they have that we musical event producers and OKOM fans don't?

It was a competition.
It included 4 fights.
They had pretty young girls shovel around the goal nets at intermissions.
They (pretty young girls) shot free T shirts into the crowd.
They had a "party" atmosphere.
They have lots of corporate sponsors.

Musical content: "Is That All There Is?"

If so, maybe we should do likewise as it is a drag to perform for peanuts
unless one is an elephant.

Cheers,
Steve