[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Shearing--Dixieland

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Wed Nov 9 19:59:29 PST 2005

Don't get me wrong, I think George Shearing is a jazz genius, but when I
played the Dixieland CD the first time I kept waiting for something to
happen.  It didn't.  It was like a studio band, and stiff as an ironing
board.

Too bad.  I got the same feeling listening to Benny Goodman playing the
Mozart Clarinet Quinet.  He got into a field he shouldn't have.  His
lsound was really out of place in that genre. Ditto, when Artie Shaw
tried to play Bop.  He sacrificed all that beautiful, fluid style in
order to be hip.
It didn't work, either.

Regards,  Harold Smith