[Dixielandjazz]Tuning C clarinet A = 440 or 442 or higher

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 9 14:21:05 PST 2005

Hi listers,
  I have an old simple system  C clarinet by Martin Freres made of a
bakelite like material. It is clearly marked C but appears to tune
between C and D on the piano. Probably made to high pitch. It has a Bb
mouthpiece that is clearly not original. It can be lipped down a bit in
practice. Any suggestions about how to bring it down to pitch? We'd
like to use it in early 20th century music,
regards
Dan Hardie