[Dixielandjazz] Tirade by Mike Vax

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 18:27:06 PST 2005

Well Gus,  that is entirely a DIFFERENT CAN OF WORMS TO OPEN :))

Most music educators, even the ones sitting around offering private
music lessons on craigslist every day consider themselves to be
"Working" musicians,  in any avenue they can find to produce revenue.

Unfortunately there are more than likely, more of them teaching than
there are those who actually have and play anywhere as many gigs as
they do lessons.

In my opinion they would do more good going out looking for gigs and
creating them than sitting around all day teaching somebody else how to
do what many of them will never do.

Those who do  DO and those who cannot Do usually Teach  in far too many
situations,

Mike Vax being an excellent exception to that rule, and fortunately he
is also not alone, there are some fine teachers out there, but there
are some real Turkey's too.

Me,  I can't Teach, Therefore I have to PLAY  :))   Well that's not
entirely true, I did teach myself how to play for whatever good that
did :))   I guess learning it all wrong is better than not learning it
at all, and in some cases experience may not be the BEST Teacher, but
it may be the ONLY ONE.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins