[Dixielandjazz] A = 440

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Nov 7 16:13:04 PST 2005

Having been an oboe player I would tune my reeds sharp and then pull
them to 440. The reason for this is that bands tend to play sharp in
this country and if they didn't start that way they end up playing that
way and that's the same with orchestras. Have you ever watched them
fooling with the tuning screws on the tail pieces. They are pulling the
instrument sharp so they tend to slide up.

Personally I hear sharp and 440 sounds a bit flat to me. I think that
that's true with most people. My band director in college also liked the
band tuned a little sharp because he said it sounded brighter. Tuning is
like voting within a band, the majority wins.

I understand, and could be wrong, that Russia tunes flat to A440 because
the cold weather prevents the pianos from being pulled to A440. The
result would be like a skin drum head splitting when warmed up.
Obviously that would not be the case now with good heating but may have
been true 100 years ago. Anyone know the true story? Myth?

Pet peeve: Guitar players that use tuning meters to tune their
instruments. This will automatically produce an out of tune guitar
because it isn't tempered. The human ear is the most accurate if it's
used but it does require training. Everyone wants to take shortcuts
without taking the background work. The only place using a meter seems
to work is with Bass guitar but they aren't playing chords either.

Larry Walton
St. Louis