[Dixielandjazz] Circle of 5ths

brycejo at comcast.net brycejo at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 06:14:11 PST 2005

Actually, I learned the cycle of fifths as DESCENDING fifths and/or ASCENDING fourths.

So: C;  F;  Bb;  Eb;  Ab; Db; Gb; B; E; A; D; G; C

C is the 5th of F; while F is the 4th of C.

Of course, they'd use 7ths rather than tonic chords

Usually, a cycle of 5th progression would go:

C; E7; A7; D7; G7; C
Release: E7; A7; D7; G7
as in Five Foot Two and Please Don't Talk About Me when I'm Gone.

The cycle of 5ths has been called a "natural" movement in music with each chord resolving naturally to the next chord.

Other "essentially" cycle of 5th tunes: Louis' Once in a While; Who'd Sorry Now and Yesterday by Lennon/McCartney.

J. D. Bryce