[Dixielandjazz] Marathon Jazz Band in Monterey

Chris Calabrese lists at jazzpiano.com
Sun Nov 6 21:09:20 PST 2005

I think technically the Abalone Stompers were based in Monterey where the
leader, Jake Stock lived, although they performed quite frequently at the
River Inn in Big Sur. Jake died several years ago and since then the band
has dissolved. I'm not sure if anyone is still using the name or not, but if
so whatever they're doing would be in name only and not representative of
the original band. My guess is the band at the marathon was probably the
Sweet Thursday, which contains several AS alumnus.

Speaking of which... former AS tuba player Alan O'Dea has a GREAT OKOM radio
show every Wednesday from 10AM to noon Pacific time. You can listen over the
Web (which is what I do) at http://www.krmlradio.com.

~ Chris