[Dixielandjazz] Capturing attention

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Nov 6 12:35:33 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/6/2005 12:00:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

But to  find a jazz connection, I would say "If your band is playing well but
the  audience is ignoring you it will be of no avail to play your best stuff
in  an attempt to capture their attention."
Respectfully submitted,
Bill  "parvum stellum" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

I would also say that it describes the state of festivals on the OKOM
circuit and their directors, even more than the audience.  There are quite  a few
good bands that I know of, who are not asked to play at the  festivals.  It
seems that the same bands play every single festival.   To this day, I have never
figured out why the "trad folks" want to hear the same  bands play the same
tunes in the same way, week after week.
But then I guess that is why my band doesn't play more festivals.
I will say that my new sextette was a huge hit at the Medford  festival.
Even the real "trad" fans seemed to like us. (We actually  played the "trad" room
twice and had many of the regulars come back  for the second time. Go
figure.)  Does that mean we will get any more  invitations? Who knows?
Mike Vax