[Dixielandjazz] Newspaper quotes aboute the ODJB, circa 1917

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Nov 5 20:35:14 PST 2005

OK now I am really confused,  damned Colin, leave it to a New Zealander
to stir up things on this list : ))

He seems to lurk a lot but is a deeeep thinker,  :))

NOw in looking at this fine information about the ODJB  I am amazed at
the content in it and the gfreawqt Marketing capability of the guy/or
Gal who wrote and designed this piece.

A Saxophone with the croup???  I know a lot of Sax players who sound
that way.   Perhaps they would sound better if they could find a Lard
Can to play through.  :))  That must be where they came up with the
idea that a Saxophone will play itself if you hang it out in the wind.
:))  would give it that authentic Megaphone sound. eh?

I love the part about "the most difficult thing for them to do was get
the JASS band to stand still long enough to make a record :))   Hummm
don't spose that inspired "Fidgety Feet do Ya???   Nah   Dancers Pooo
Pooh on that idea.  :))

Then that line about everybody shaking a leg in the audience????   At
most of the Dixieland festivals I have attended the ONLY legs being
shaken were Wooden Ones by some irate guy yelling to turn the music
down and slow it down.  :))

Now according to the article:  in New Jersey, The Band was a Sexy bunch
hell bent on "Penetration"  and they also Played "BLUES"   How uncool
was that??/ no wonder they never became popular :))

A "WAG"  described them as a Jass Band gone Crazy,   NOw somebody needs
to tell this wet behgind the ears kid what the Heck was a WAG?
anything like a Punter?  by chance.

They also obviously  played the first HIP HOP song since they played a
Dixieland ONE BEAT,  Hey Ho !!!   And they played it with FEROCITY AND
PENETRATION,  MY GAWD NO WONDER THOSE YOUNG LADIES LOVED THEM EARLY
MUSOS.  :))

Cheers

Tom Wiggins