[Dixielandjazz] I flunked shop.

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Nov 4 12:32:57 PST 2005

Yes - your device can draw that much but if it approaches that figure or
the max of the power supply  you will get voltage drops and heating so
it may deliver 400 ma but the voltage will drop significantly and the
transformer will start to do a smoke test.  It's best to get a larger
power supply.  That's assuming that the supply is unregulated (cheap) as
most of the power cubes are.  A regulated supply (expensive) will
deliver a constant voltage at some current rating or another.  If you
exceed the specs of the regulated supply, typically the circuit breaker
will trip.

Feel the power cube.  Un loaded they may feel slightly warm but should
never be uncomfortable to the touch.

FYI - If the rating is in watts then at 110 volts 1000 watts equals
approximately one amp so you can figure out the total load of your amps
and devices by adding up the loads (in watts) and divide by 1000.
That's not entirely accurate but it's close enough usually.  The formula
is volts x amps = watts  and volts (110) divided by watts (1000) = (1.1)amps

Might keep you from blowing a fuse some day.

Since we are into electrical.  Watch your mikes and water.  A minister
day before yesterday in St. Louis was about to baptize  someone and
reached for the  mike.  He was electrocuted in  front of  everyone at
the service.

I've had them bite me a time or two on wet ground.  Get an extension
cord with a good ground and a ground circuit interrupter built in.  I've
been looking for one but have been unsuccessful so far.  I guess I'll
buy one and build it into a box to plug in.

Larry Walton
St. Louis