[Dixielandjazz] Musician In Heaven

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Nov 3 20:42:30 PST 2005

St. Peter asks the person in front of the pearly gates, "What did you do in
life?" The reply - I was a physician - brought a generous smile from St.
Peter who said, "Very noble profession, you are welcome in heaven. Of
course, there's nothing for you to do here as we have no illness of any
kind, but you are most welcome in heaven. The bar on the left goes on
forever, the buffet on the right goes on to eternity, and the pink fluffy
looking cloud in the middle is where God hangs out; feel free to talk to
God, eat and drink as much as you like; you are welcome in heaven.

St. Peter asks the next person, "What did you do in life?" The reply - I was
a lawyer - brought a disgruntled look as St. Peter rolled his eyes and said,
"Well, everyone is welcome in heaven. Of course, there's nothing for you to
do here as we have no crime or ill will or accidents of any kind, but you
are welcome in heaven. The bar on the left goes on forever, the buffet on
the right goes on to eternity, and the pink fluffy looking cloud in the
middle is where God hangs out; feel free to talk to God, eat and drink as
much as you like; you are welcome in heaven.

St. Peter asks the next person, "What did you do in life?" The reply - I was
a jazz bassist - brought an excited response of delight as St.  Peter
excitedly said, "You're going to love it here! The jam sessions go on
forever! And you can play with Miles, or Trane, or Bill Evans. Duke
Ellington writes a new piece for the band every day.  There's plenty of solo
space, no weird keys, nothing out of tune, no bad notes, no bad changes, and
the time is always rock solid - you're going to love it here! By the way,
you didn't park out front, did you? Listen, stay away from the bar and the
buffet table - and don't try to talk to God - he's busy. And could you come
in through the loading dock? Oh, and do you have a sound system we could use
during breaks?"

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
The Fulton Street Jazz Band
The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)