[Dixielandjazz] DJ's was Hot Cruise Ship[ Gig Available

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 13:13:55 PST 2005

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> then again in the USA the DJ's have out marketed the live bands for so
> long that they now get more money than most bands ever made for a four
> hour gig around these parts anyway.
>
> These guys are often doing Weddings for $1,200.00 to $2,500.00  and
> telling the bride & groom that they could never afford a live band.
> How did this happen, because the musicians rolled over and played dead
> and did not fight back when they should have.

One way to compete with that is to quote $2500 for a wedding (3 hours with a
6 piece band, adding more for overtime) and be your own DJ. Hook up a CD
player to your sound system and ask bride & groom to supply their favorite
CD's. That way, you fill your break time with music, can take your time
eating dinner and B & G can dance to whatever they wish without making
unreasonable tune requests of the band.

Did that on our last wedding a few weeks ago. Since it was a 100% Dixieland
Jazz event, we filled the breaks with Eddie Condon & Gang CDs.

Yessir, why not beat the DJ's at their own game?

Cheers,
Steve