[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue May 31 18:38:48 PDT 2005

Ed Danielson wrote:

> This was my first time to Sacramento, and it
> will by no means be my last.  What a blast!

We feel the same way.  It was our first Jazz Jubilee, and we're planning to
return again next year, with the caveat that the Jubilee organization will
need to establish a workable and affordable relationship with CalExpo, or
else find a suitable replacement spot for Rvers.

> My only complaint -- too many acts I wanted to
> see and not enough time to do so.  Everything
> I heard was good, though.  Very hard to pick
> and choose.

Similarly, we didn't get to hear every band we wanted to hear.  But we did
pretty well, and managed to hear most of the bands we were interested in
hearing, at least once.  Some of these were old favorites (e.g., High
Sierra, Rhythm Rascals, Cell Block 7), while others were new to us (Polly's
Hot Paupers, Fulton Street, Black Tuesday, Dr. Bach).

> Cal Expo is a terrific venue, but it seemed
> awfully remote from the rest of the festival.

We were particularly impressed with how smoothly the shuttle bus system
worked.  Having heard about it before going, we didn't even tow a car behind
the RV, placing our faith in the shuttle system.  It was great!  We went via
shuttle to Old Town Friday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday night, and
also went to the Convention Center on Saturday morning.  Got there and back
to CalExpo in time to hear everything we'd planned to hear.

> It would be nice if it were a little more
> geographically compact.

Sure, smaller festivals like Dixieland Monterey, which is virtually all in
one hotel, are very convenient when it comes to getting from one venue to
another.  I think most cities would find it difficult if not impossible to
arrange for 35 or 40 performing venues within a very small area.  I think
that the Jazz Jubilee did a great job!

> It was great to meet many DJMLers at the FTF-BMP.

We simply got a late start on Friday and didn't get to Old Town in time.
(Not caused by the shuttle system, but by sluggishness in dragging my behind
out of bed.)  Wish we had been there, and we'll do better next year.

-- Jim O'Briant
   Tuba (at liberty)
   Gilroy, CA