[Dixielandjazz] Report from the Sacramento Jubilee

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Mon May 30 10:07:32 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone:
Yesterday was one of the best days of jazz listening of my life coming close
to Louis Armstrong at the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley in 1962.

So whose echos do I hear? Eddie Higgins, Johnny Varro, Eddie Metz, Jr, Tommy
Saunders, Randy Reinhart, Bill Allred, John Allred, Jim Galloway, Chuck
Hedges, Russ Phillips and all the others who played in the All Stars sessions. All
played with taste and respect for each other.

Two things stand out: Eddie Higgins was superb with an outpouring that was
flawless (who else would play Sleigh Bells in May?) and Bill Allred showed why
he is a great trombonist.

Bill played with power and conviction; who could guess that he recently had
major surgery on his lung?  What an amazing moment.

Another observation: while mouldy figs walked out of this session (you know
who you were), there were about 20 young musicians from the youth bands who sat
in rapt attention perhaps dreaming of the day they would become an All Stars.
As Al Collins would say, they were "Merjuberized."

Jazz was alive and well in Sacramento last night.