[Dixielandjazz] Do Kids Respond to Jazz?

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat May 28 13:25:44 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/28/2005 3:00:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com Steve Barbone writes:

Forget  the history of Jazz. That is for pseudo intellectuals. PLAY THE
>  DAMN
> > MUSIC IN A SWINGING JAZZ MANNER. Forget stupid songs like  "My Cutie's
Due
> at
> > 2:22" or "My Canary Has Circles  Under His Eyes"
I think Steve got this one right on! I just played a gig at a nursing home
yesterday. No, these were not kids, but I think the principle is the same for
all age groups. My amp went out on me. So instead of doing my usual routine
with  banjo, base, strings and all that on my keyboards, telling the story of
ragtime,  etc., etc., I had no choice but to move over to their old acoustic
baby grand  and start playing. I played dance, Dixie and rag in a lively manner.
In less  than two songs they were up and dancing, believe it or not. I
finished the hour  with continuous swing style and they loved it. Maybe it's all
about a  swinging beat. And, while I'm on this kick, no one said we had to play
ONLY  the old stuff. In my band days we played just about every pop song  in
Dixie style. Swing away, I say, Steve. You got it right!

Dan (piano fingers) Spink