[Dixielandjazz] JOSHUA REDMAN, Jazz Messiahs, etc.

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri May 27 10:39:49 PDT 2005

Thanks, Steve. This is well worth reading, especially the discussion of
Rollins, Coltrane, and Lovano that begins about 9 paragraphs down ("Mr.
Rollins is the living exemplar..."). I wonder how listmates who don't
connect with modern jazz react to this. The passion and intelligence of
both the conversation and the music they're talking about are as
compelling as the talk and writing about early jazz that's began around
the 30s and continues today.

On a different tangent--an interesting inference that can be drawn from
the talk, widely accepted I think by jazz historians, is that the habit
of looking for a new "giant" who'll move jazz in transforming ways (as
in Louis, Bix, Eldridge, Diz, Miles....) is now gone. What's happened
since Coltrane and Ornette is interesting syntheses of what came
before, soemtimes fusion with non-jazz styles, represented by fine
artists like Lovano, Redman, Wynton Marsaslis, etc. Some lament the
lack of yet another jazz-redefining genius, but where we are seems to
be the natural evolutionary spot, nothing wrong with it, because what's
happening is still exciting music.

In fact, the anticipation of a new jazz Messiah cultivated a snobbish
hipness-for-its-own sake that kept young musicians and others from
enjoying the richness of older jazz styles. Too bad, they didn't (and
don't) know what they're missing. Possibly, the lack of a new Messiah
has caused players like Wynton, Nicholas Payton, and others to look
back, digest, and make use of earlier jazz as influences in their
playing.

Charlie Suhor