[Dixielandjazz] For those who adore "Swing"

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 06:32:14 PDT 2005

This is from another jazz chat list. If you are a fan of swing, you might
want to check out the web sites the writer mentions. Be sure to paste the
entire site into your browser.

The music genre is "Pre World War II Black Swing". The music is incredible.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

From: "thebasieite" <thebasieite at yahoo.com>
Subject: Shameless self promotion in defense of real swing!

One of my hobbies is using the Amazon reader reviews to write about
music and discuss issues.

I have two Amazon listmanias that you all might be interested in.

Listmania!Swing-Jazz Gems read my reviews on the page for each item
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-
/1TOV5852NFN7F/ref=cm_aya_av.lm_more/102-4361032-2408935

Basieism, This is chiefly old Testament pre 1949
by Tony Thomas, Read my reviews on Each Item
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-
/3OQ4M1CRMCR29/ref=cm_aya_av.lm_more/102-4361032-2408935

Each one is a list of 25 books, CDs, and DVDs about prewar Black
swing centered around Basie, Young, Armstrong, Holiday. On the page
of each item there is a reader review by myself that discusses the
item in its historical significance and not just whether one should
buy it. I take for granted anyone already here will have it all,
because Lester,Basie, and Billie are too good just to have a partial
selection. As I say about some of this music, the music is so good,
even if you don't have a CD player you need to get the CD just so
when you get one you will have this to play. I think on one of the
Basie cuts I say, if you can't afford to buy this, try to steal it
because you shouldnt be above the ground without it!

If you do visit these sites, I would appreciate it if you would
click that my reader reviews helped you if they do. Amazon
discriminates in ranking reviewers based on how much what they
review sells.  So if instead of reviewing Basie, Lester Young,
Billie Holiday, Jimmie Lunsford, Mildren Bailey, Louis Armstrong,
and Jay McShann, if I reviewed Britnay Spears, my reviews would
count as double or triple.  Give me a vote.

Tony Thomas