Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Do Kids Respond to Jazz?

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Tue May 24 12:24:56 PDT 2005

I think Steve captured an essential truth about OKOM when he wrote:

Do kids  love jazz? No doubt about it, as long as it is made  relevant.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

The eternal challenge arises from the simple fact that OKOM is so  relevant
to us (most of us being old white guys), and so irrelevant to them  "kids" who
do not share our history. How could they? They weren't born yet.  Rap and the
specific songs they hear on their music stations are  relevant because they
are living it now. But I have to ask Steve one question:  How can you make OKOM
relevant to these kids generally? Maybe that's the real  question.

Dan Spink