[Dixielandjazz] Bob Crosby Radio Show Saturday

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Mon May 23 17:49:22 PDT 2005

Since the topic of the Bob Crosby band picture came up, I figured I'd chime
in with something that would probably be of interest for many here.  This
Saturday Chuck Schaden's "Those Were the Days" radio program on WDCB-FM
(90.9) will be playing several broadcasts of the Crosby band made between
1935 and 1942.  The broadcasts will be introduced by big band historian Karl
Pearson.  The program is in honor of the 70th anniversary of the Crosby
band.  The show airs from 1:00-5:00 p.m. CDT.

For those of you not lucky enough to live in the Chicago area, the show is
streamed live (RealAudio) at www.wdcb.org <http://www.wdcb.org/>  .  If you
are unable to listen to the program then, you can also access it starting
the following Tuesday at www.nostalgiadigest.com
<http://www.nostalgiadigest.com/>  , Schaden's web site.

The web site also summarizes the broadcasts to be featured, and I'll present
a very brief summary of that:

1)       Broadcast from Cincinnati (12/27/35)

2)       "Ford V-8 Revue," with the Freshman Trio (1936)

3)       Remote broadcast from the Congress Hotel, Chicago (3/2/37)

4)       "Dixieland Music Shop," with Johnny Mercer and Helen Ward (9/26/39)

5)       Excerpt from remote broadcast from the Blackhawk Restaurant,
Chicago (4/29/40)

6)       "Camel Caravan," with Bonnie King and the Bob-O-Links (11/28/40)

7)       "Fitch Bandwagon" excerpt (5/24/42)

Hal Vickery