[Dixielandjazz] Poofread

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 16:50:54 PDT 2005

Phil O'Rourke from down under wrote:

>"POOF" is indeed a Anglo-Saxon word . . . .Though some people may say it is
>politically incorrect >these days it does only have one meaning.

Not so, mate -

Here's my Merriam Webster on the subject:

----> dictionary entry

2 entries found for poof.

poof[1,interjection]poof[2,noun]

Main Entry: 1poof
Pronunciation: 'püf, 'puf
Function: interjection
-- used to express disdain or dismissal or to suggest instantaneous
occurrence

----> end dictionary citation

I first recall the word used to express a quick disappearance . . . "Poof,
it vanished in an instant."

The use of the word to indicate a person embracing the love which dare not
speak its name is also a valid usage . . . but it's not the only one.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com