[Dixielandjazz] Do Kids Respond to Jazz?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 12:55:26 PDT 2005

Just back from our trio (Bass, Guitar, Clarinet) concert at Clifford Brown's
old High School in Wilmington. Howard Technical H.S. Played for an hour over
the lunch break in the lunch room. Concert was filmed by WHYY Channel 12,
Wilmington's PBS Educational Channel.

We are to be a part of a "Living History Segment" (that means we are old)
honoring Clifford Brown's life and music. It was a very special treat to
play jazz, unexpectedly as far as they were concerned, for the students.

Audience of about 300, 80% Black or Hispanic. Howard was an all black school
until the 1960s, and in fact, the only high school Blacks were able to
attend until then, in the Wilmington area.

For the most part, the kids loved what we did. I announced that we were
there to honor an alumnus who graduated about 60 years ago, named Clifford
Brown. And that the 3 of us had spoken to him a time or two in the 1950's,
and that the bassist gigged and recorded with him. Adding that Brownie was a
musical genius who influenced the way we play, and a mathematical genius who
influenced my own desire for a University education.

The kids cheered and danced to "Walkin", "Hackensack", "Perdido", "Take the
A Train", "I Can't Get Started" and "St. Thomas." Even draped a few dancers
with beads and also the Principal when she demanded equal recognition.

Ace, Sonny and I were then interviewed by WHYY about Brownie afterwards in
the School Auditorium, a beautiful venue seating 800. BROWNIE PLAYED THERE
AS A KID and so it was a big thrill for us.

They've got about 40 minutes of tape which I suspect will be cut to about 5
minutes and aired on June 9 in the regular "Delaware Today" half hour. If
you are in the area, check the local Channel 12 listing.

Also did the High School (John Dickenson H.S. also in Wilmington) graduation
party for Amy yesterday at the local Country Club.  Much fun watching those
kids dance too. They first didn't know what to do, asking; "What do we dance
to this?" I said, "Free Dancing".

"What's that?" they asked. "Dance any way you want, as if nobody was
watching", I replied. "Just like Jazz, you do your own thing."

And did they ever. ;-) VBG.

Do kids love jazz? No doubt about it, as long as it is made relevant.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Jazz is a transaction between artists and audience - an effort, through
sound, and sight if live, to share a vision."