[Dixielandjazz] streaming audio recorder

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Sun May 22 04:08:32 PDT 2005

try Audacity, free to download from the web - find it with Google. Get the free Lame codec to convert edited filed to MP3. Nothing simpler. Tried Wavelab, Cool Edit etc. Not much use unless you are a professional recording business.

Audacity records any streamed audio from any source going into your computer, including Real Audio and devices connected to the line input such as an analog system (stereo, tuner, cassete etc.) It is easy to clean up 78 dubs, chop up LPs into tracks etc. Why muck around with commercial software. I like hearing the glorious sound from the 78RPM groove along with the surface noises. Nobody has yet invented a filter which works as well as my ears. Audacity will filter out noise if you want.

I will maintain this line of argument until I run out of steel needles

Tony Orr
Gramaphone crank